Monday, October 27, 2008

In-laws' Visit: Final Trip Report

We spent Oct 4-7 in Bangkok. On Wednesday, Erik and I both worked. The in-laws took a harbor cruise and had lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe. In the evening, we went to the horse races which are very popular here, and it was the first time we had been. It was a lot of fun. Mother-in-law was the big winner and won 3 out of the 5 races we bet on! The in-laws went to Ocean Park on Thursday. It is similar to Sea World and has a large aquarium along with amusement park rides. Erik and I have not been there, but everyone says it is great. One of the reasons we haven't gone, is that it can be super crowded on the weekends. Fortunately, the in-laws were able to go on a weekday and avoided the crowds. For dinner, we ate at a Chinese restaurant in the mall near our house. It has amazing fried shrimp balls--so good. After dinner, we had a cocktail at the new W Hotel located right by our apartment. It was super cool, and I can't believe it has been open for a few months, but we hadn't checked it out. I think we will be going there frequently.
Friday was the in-laws last day in Hong Kong. They had a dim sum lunch with Erik and his colleagues and finished some last minute shopping in the Ladies Market. We met for drinks at Sevva, the very cool new roof-top bar near my work which I blogged about here. Next, we headed down to the pier and took a traditional Chinese junk cruise for the evening light show. Again, this is something Erik and I had not done previously, and it was spectacular; however, I was glad the boat trip only lasted 45 minutes, because it was very rocky. The final dinner was at Spring Deer, a Hong Kong institution that specializes in Beijing duck. The food was phenomenal, and we ordered way too much. I tried duck for the first time, and I didn't care for it--too meaty. Erik has had Beijing/Peking duck many times, and he said Spring Deer's was excellent. We rolled our stuffed selves home and last minute packing ensued.
The in-laws were out the door by 7:30 a.m. on Saturday. By 7:31 a.m., I was back in bed and slept until noon! It was a wonderful visit, and I truly loved having the in-laws in Hong Kong.


kelly said...

what a great trip-you all are such world travelers! i'm tired just reading your reports!!

The Fab Miss B said...

Oooo- your city is so glam! It looks like you all had a wonderful time.