Wednesday, November 4, 2009

New Job!

I have a new job that I am very excited about. The job search has kept me very busy recently, along with currently working at both my old and new jobs. I will be transitioning until my replacement is hired and up to speed. My new role is as Marketing Communications Manager for a US based toy company. The position is much more creative than my former job. I am looking forward to working in a very fun and creative environment and with people who are focused on cool products. I don't want to be over zealous, but this new job is very close to perfect, at least as far as I can tell at this point. If you want to know the company, email me, because I don't want this post to turn up in a google search.

The Hong Kong job topic is rather an emotional one for me. Before we moved, I met with a HK recruiter and spoke to several locals about my ability to get a job as a foreigner. The responses were less than optimistic. The recruiter didn't give me the time of day and said it was close to impossible to get professional work here unless fluent in English and Chinese. More than one person suggested that the best job I could get was teaching English. I have prided myself in landing a full-time position in my field within 3 months of arriving in Hong Kong. Now, I have my "dream job" and landed it during a recession. A few months ago, I had another offer which I turned down, and recently, I was the number one candidate for a high-level, but not creative, position for which I would have likely received an offer if I hadn't accepted the toy job. I apologize for tooting my own horn, but it is satisfying to reflect on how far I've come from the day I left that recruiter's office being depressed.

I feel like singing, "If I can make it here, I'll make it anywhere!"

1 comment:

kelly said...

congrats! email me deets!