Sunday, December 13, 2009

Bowl O Fire

A few weeks ago, Erik took me to his favorite noodle soup place near his Hong Kong office. This place serves Sichuan-style noodles which means they are very hot. There are 13 levels of soup spiciness. The menu depicts levels 1-10 with level 1 being 1/10 of a chili pepper and level 10 being a whole chili. Even more hot than 1-10 are the levels low, medium and high spiciness. I should mention that Erik and I both like spicy food, and I think I can take it pretty hot. Erik warned me that his female colleague had ordered 1/10 spicy (the least spicy available), and she needed to order extra broth to cut the heat level. Erik proceeds to order medium, one step below the hottest available. I ordered one notch below him at low. I can honestly say this was the spiciest food I have ever eaten. I couldn't finish it. My eyes were streaming tears, my face was red, I was sweating, and my nose, mouth, and lips were numb. It was good, and I want to go back, but next time I think I'll order 6/10.

Sorry, I haven't posted in awhile. The past few weeks, I have worked harder than any time in my life. My new job is going great, but I am still freelancing at my old job. In essence, I am working two full-time jobs. I hope things settle down in January.

No comments: