Sunday, March 1, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire

I realize all of you have probably seen the movie, but the international showings are behind the US, so we just saw it this weekend. It was wonderful. All the horrible parts such as the mountains of trash, sprawling shack neighborhoods, and child beggars were very representative of what we saw in India. Before our trip, I read the fiction book A Fine Balance by the Indian writer Rohinton Mistry. It was recommended by our tour company. The book describes many of the other horrors depicted in Slumdog such as the Hindu/Muslim conflicts, ghetto mafia rule, and the general unfairness of life in India. Based on my limited knowledge, this movie did not exaggerate the difficulty of life in the country.

My trip to India changed something fundamental inside of me, and Slumdog Millionaire was a reminder of that change. I am working to make the change one of benefit to myself and this world.

2 comments:

The Fab Miss B said...

I definitely enjoyed that movie- it's made me want to go to India even more (especially after seeing all your great pictures!)

P.S) I tagged you! Come see the details here:

http://thefabmissb.blogspot.com/2009/03/tagged.html

The Fab Miss B said...

I definitely enjoyed that movie- it's made me want to go to India even more (especially after seeing all your great pictures!)

P.S) I tagged you! Come see the details here:

http://thefabmissb.blogspot.com/2009/03/tagged.html