Sunday, February 10, 2008

Kung Hei Fat Choi!

Kung Hei Fat Choi = wishing you prosperity in the new year. It is the greeting used during Chinese New Year. The party was a huge success! Everyone had a great time, and the food turned out great. The fireworks were amazing. It really couldn't have gone better. This post will talk about the party details, and I'll do a separte post or two discussing some Chinese New Year traditions and photos and how we spent the rest of our weekend.

Food:

Shrimp Balls: these shrimp balls were SO amazing, but labor intensive. We bought live shrimp from the market, and I made Erik carry the bag home because I couldn't take the wiggling. At home, I put them in the collander to rinse, and they kept jumping out of the collander into the sink and onto the floor! I was screaming and laughing. I didn't have the nerve to decaptitate them live, so I put them in the freezer to kill them. It took a long time to de-head, peel, and devein all those shrimp. Then you grind them in the food processer with a few other ingredients. Next, you form them into about 80 balls and coat in panko. Then you deep fry. They were well worth the effort.

Flowers are an important part of Chinese New Year, especially spring flowers since the new year welcomes spring. Here we have pussy willows and red gladiolas--red is the lucky color.Fireworks were totally amazing:Late night, when most people had left except our good friends: Erik and Pinky playing a dice game with Tony and Paul.Amy & Pinky playing Wii. My friend Wenny on the couch.Amy & TonyPaul & Tony

On Saturday, we did absolutely nothing. I was a bit hungover and we were both exhaused. We watched about 5 movies on HBO.

Happy New Year everyone!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy,
I was so happy to see Paul's picture on your blog. Thanks for having him over on Friday night. He said he had a great time!! He said you were an amazing cook...you will have to give me some lessons!
-Maura

Anonymous said...

Looks like you guys are having a great time!
Hope all is well...Keri, Keith, Kyle, Ryan and HERSHIE