Monday, January 14, 2008

Working Hard

I haven't posted recently because I have been working very hard. My job is demanding and quite tedious. I hope it eases up once I get more in the groove. As a result, I have been wiped out in the evenings and haven't been motivated to post. Also, I have had many weekday evening commitments.

The past two weekends have been casual and we have really settled into a routine reminiscent of how we used to spend our time. On Saturday, I took my first jewelry class. It was wonderful. I am excited to learn some advanced techniques. Soon, I will have a small work space set up in the apartment, and I already unpacked all my stuff in preparation. I just need to buy some supplies from my jewelry teacher. Erik is working on a cool photography project using his $5.00, 45-year-old Polaroid camera.

So far, I have done pretty well with my resolution to exercise, and it feels very good. Near our apartment, there is a park with a track, which I estimate to be about 1.5 miles long. I am running in and out (~3 miles) on the weekends. I am taking a trial yoga class this week. It is hard to believe that we have lived here for four months and only now explored the park.

Additionally, I am trying to make some friends of my own, not only Gore people. So far, so good. Last Thursday, I had an enjoyable evening with my Chinese friend Wenny. I will continue to reach out to folks even though it isn't my nature.
________________________________________________________
West Kowloon park sign. You can see our building behind the sign and the new ICC building on the left. It will be the tallest building in Hong Kong when complete--I think about 120 floors. When we first looked at the apartment 6 months ago, it was much shorter than our building. It is 98 floors tall in this picture--they have a sign to mark the height.
Me in the park looking at the harbour.
View of the park from our balcony.
On Saturday, there was a concert in the industrial area below our apartment. It should give some perspective on how high up we are. The music was very loud even 67 floors up.
We have had some nice sunsets recently, which is a rarity here.

4 comments:

kelly said...

great pics-i'm looking forward to seeing some jewelry soon!

i'm going to try to start blogging again so stop by if you can...

Anonymous said...

I would have never thought of you as a person that has to push themselves to make friends. I never got that impression of you, when you were in the states. You should have no problem at all, for you have many talents (jewelry, love of art, sense of style, decorating sense, and a warm smile) - people will love to get to know you and have you in their life.

Anonymous said...

Those pictures of the sunset are just incredible. The colors are amazing, even when digital. And I can not believe that you will have ANY problems making friends. You are a very warm, inviting person! I can not wait to see some new jewelry! I'm so glad that you were able to find a class and new materials to use. Sounds like you are really adjusting well to the new environment.

Kamara

Anonymous said...

People should read this.